The Obamas wait for the President of Mexico in 2010 (White House - Pete Souza)
8-Ball Corner Pocket, Mr. President
The Map Room is so-named because it was used by President Franklin Roosevelt as a situation room from which to follow the course of World War II. It now serves as a private meeting room for the president or the first lady. But until 1929, it had historically been used as a billiard room by many presidents, and occasionally for doctors' visits.
Chief Usher Ike Hoover wrote of Harrisons' enjoyment of the billiard room:
After TR renovated the basement into a useable ground floor, the room was again used for billiards by Wilson and Coolidge. Mrs. Hoover wrote:
This room is about 27 1/2 feet by 22 1/2 feet. The room was decorated in 1970, and again in 1994, as a sitting room in the Chippendale style, which flourished in America during the last half of the 18th century. Named after the English furniture designer Thomas Chippendale, this style combines the graceful lines of Queen Anne furniture with carved motifs in more elaborate rococo, Gothic, and Chinese styles. The handsome, walnut high chest of drawers on the south wall was made in Philadelphia about 1770 and has shell carvings on its pediment and apron and the knees of its cabriole legs. The side chairs that flank the high chest, from a set of four and an armchair, were made about 1770 in Philadelphia, possibly by Thomas Affleck. Attributed to the same cabinetmaker is the mahogany easy chair with square, upholstered back.
The simple sandstone mantel was made from stone removed during the Truman renovation of the White House. Above it hangs the last situation map prepared in this room for President Roosevelt, on April 3, 1945. To the right of the fireplace is a chest of drawers with a serpentine front made in Philadelphia about 1765. On it rests a medicine chest that is believed to have belonged to President and Mrs. James Madison, and to have been taken from the White House just before the building was burned during the War of 1812.
A rare 1755 French version of a map charted by colonial surveyors Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson (Thomas Jefferson's father) hangs on the east wall, covering a case of world maps presented by the National Geographic Society.
The Map Room provides access to a ladies' lavatory.
Chief Justice John Roberts administers the oath of office second time in 2009 (White House - Pete Souza)
The Map Room in 2008, looking north (C-SPAN)
The Map Room in 2008, looking west (C-SPAN)
The Map Room in 1999, looking east (White House Historical Association)
President Clinton reviews designs for his official portrait in his final days in the White House in 2001, looking southeast
The map cabinet (HABS)
The map room in 1992 (HABS)
The Map Room in 1992, looking southwest
First Dog Millie in the Map Room in 1991, with a model of the construction of the White House (Bush Library)
The room around 1979 (White House Historical Association)
Rosalynn Carter being interviewed by David Hartman of Good Morning America in 1978, looking southeast (NARA - Carter Library)
President Nixon discusses China in 1972 (Corbis - Bettman)
Jackie Kennedy finalizing details in the room as curator's office in 1962
The room as it served Calvin Coolidge in the capacity of a billiards hall, looking northwest (White House Historical Association - Ralph Waldo Magee)